Pin me!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Best Buttermilk Biscuits

Growing up I spent a lot of time with my paternal grandparents, Nonnie and Pop Pop. I would spend the night at their house often and always woke up to the smell of bacon frying, strong black coffee and fluffy buttermilk biscuits. I have tried for years to re-create my grandmother's biscuits and this recipe from Southern Living is the closest I've come. Most of this recipe comes from Southern Living's 30 Years of Our Best Recipes on page 32 to be exact. By the way, this recipe is not technically a whole foods recipe, but it's delicious and every once in a while, you need to eat some buttermilk biscuits. 


In the food processor add 2 cups of self rising flour with 1/2 cup of cold butter.

                         

Pulse until it looks kind of crumb like.
At this point I add a little sugar, usually about a tablespoon. I like sweet biscuits. :) Pulse again.


Then put mixture in a bowl and add 3/4 cup of buttermilk. Once it's all combined, flour your hands and knead a couple of times in the bowl. Then, put dough on a floured surface. Knead a few more times and roll out to 3/4 inch thickness.


I cut my biscuits with my 1/2 cup measuring thingy. What do you call that thing? A cup? Anyway, I don't have a biscuit cutter, but this works great.


Put them on a greased baking sheet and bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes. 

Then they'll come out like this and be delicious!


This recipe makes 10-12 biscuits. Make a bunch and then enjoy them several mornings in a row for breakfast. Just pair them with some good protein and work out 10 minutes longer that day. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment