Pin me!

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Udi's Gluten Free Saves Christmas Morning


Last week I got this box of goodies from Udi's Gluten Free in exchange for writing about a favorite holiday recipe made gluten free with the help of their products.


I was pretty excited! I've been using Udi's products since I went gluten free a few months ago and then recommitted my allegiance after realizing that gluten could be contributing to my struggle with Restless Leg Syndrome

Now let's be honest here. There are some gluten free products, which will remain nameless, that kind of fall apart in your mouth. I'm so happy to say I have not had that problem with Udi's. 

Side note: Their Double Chocolate Muffins are A-MA-ZING. Really. You can't tell they're gluten free and they taste kind of like brownies mixed with chocolate cake. Now if you're still on your post baby diet, you may want to limit the intake. They come in at around 300 calories, but pair that with some good protein at breakfast and a long walk and it shouldn't hurt too much. 

Since I've been married, my husband and I have had the tradition of doing french toast on Christmas morning. Well you can imagine the sadness I felt at not being able to have it gluten free, BUT I have good news for you.

You can still have french toast and be gluten free. I know. Crazy, right? But, yes. It's true!

To update our normal Eggnog French Toast, I used Udi's White Sandwich Bread and Vanilla Granola as my gluten free options.

This recipe uses eggnog to soak the bread. I mean. YUM. Now, read very carefully. You can't just use any old sub-par eggnog. I mean you can, but I don't think you'll get the same results. My husband is obsessed with this Organic Valley Eggnog. We really recommend using that. 




First, melt the 1 tbsp of butter and let it cool to room temperature. 

While you're waiting, toast six slices of Udi's Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread in the toaster on low. 

Mix together 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup of eggnog, one egg yolk and a pinch of salt. Pour mixture into a shallow dish that you can dip the bread in.




Put the granola on a plate for coating the bread.

Soak the slices of bread in the liquid mixture for ten seconds on each side of the bread.
Next, dip the soaked bread into the granola. You may want to use your hand to pat in some extra granola because it can fall off pretty easily. 



                           
Melt one tbsp of butter on your griddle or skillet and cook the granola encrusted slices for about three minutes on each side until they're toasty brown. 




At this point your whole house will smell delicious and everyone will be standing, waiting, salivating.




Serve with maple syrup, some bacon and fresh fruit and you are the gluten free hero of Christmas morning!




Granola Encrusted Eggnog French Toast (Gluten Free)

Serves 2

6 slices of Udi's Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread
3/4 cup Udi's Gluten Free Vanilla Granola
2 tbsp butter 
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup of eggnog
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
maple syrup

1. Melt 1 tbsp of butter and let cool to room temperature.
2. Lightly toast bread in toaster on low setting.
3. Mix cinnamon, vanilla, egg yolk, 1 tbsp melted butter, salt and eggnog. Place in shallow dish for dipping. Spread out granola on a plate.
4. Soak bread in liquid mixture for 10 seconds on each side. 
5. Dip soaked bread in granola on both sides. Use hands to pat in more granola than you think you need. 
6. Melt 1 tbsp of butter on griddle or skillet. 
7. Cook each slice for about three minutes on each side until granola is toasty brown. 
8. Serve with maple syrup. 


I have to give major props to my hubby who helped create and test this recipe. He's a culinary genius.

I'm linking this to JoLynne's Gluten Free Recipe Round Up. Be sure to check it out! I'm sure there will be lots of delicious gluten free options! Yum!

Gluten Free Meal Plan via Musings of a Housewife




2 comments: