Pin me!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mamma

I just feel like I need to share this with everyone I know. 


Last night we went to eat with some wonderful friends of ours at Joe's Italian in Alabaster. This place is amazing. I mean amazing. First of all, the people who own it are real Italians. I mean they're so real they still speak Italian. If that doesn't make it feel authentic, I don't know what will do it for you. But that's not all. They walk around (their names are Joe & Mamma) while you're eating and ask you, "Everything ok?" And sometimes they put more strawberry sauce on your cake or explain that they don't serve garlic bread because that's not real Italian culture. I told you. Authentic.

And the food. Oh the food. There are no short cuts and there's nothing low fat about anything they do, but it is delicious. Their five cheese raviolis are as big as my head and so decadent. Oh and don't even get me started on the tiramisu. It's the best I've ever had. Ever.

But last night, Mamma did something that changed my life. She stands right by our table and starts swirling her red napkin in the air, looking very seriously at the accordion player (yes there's a real accordion player, wearing a beret), and then he starts playing this very Italian song, not sure the name, and she starts dancing while she's swirling her napkin. She moves and shakes her little hips. And I have not laughed that hard and clapped that loud in a long time. It made my week.

Oh thank you, Mamma! She did it three more times while we were there. She makes you get up and dance with her if it's your birthday. Be forewarned.

Elvira

No comments:

Post a Comment